Sunday, March 18, 2012

DIY Taggie Sensory Toy for Baby

In case you have not been in the baby world for a few years, I would like to introduce you to Taggies. Some genious realized little one's love to grab the tags on stuffed animals or toys and play with them. It is generally a babies favorite part. Hence, the Taggies brand was likely born. It is very simple to make your own Taggies. I wanted to share this simple tutorial for the crinkle version of this baby sensory toy. What do I mean by crinkle? I enclosed a layer inside that crinkles when  a baby handles it and plays with the tags.

Olivia the Owl Crinkle Crackle with ribbons

I found these cute designs on etsy here. I am sure this link will not be good forever though.

Yertle the Turtle- GREEN or PINK -Crinkle Crackle Sensory toy- Please read note before buying  Peanut or Penny the Circus Elephant- Crinkle Crackle ribbon blanket Monty the Monster- Crinkle Crackle- Ribbon blanket with pacifier clip holder

We will start today by making the super simple square version and then you can vary it from there.

Supplies:
Two 6" squares of material
Crinkle material (explanation to follow)
Various ribbons of different colors and sizes
Sewing machine

Directions:
1. Cut two 6" squares of fabric. (6" is my size of choice) I used a soft blue bumpy fabric and a dinosaur print.

2. Place printed fabric right side up. Pin ribbons of different colors and sizes on as shown below. Be creative in your color choices.


3. Place right sides of 6" fabric squares together. Cut 6" square of crinkle material to place on top as shown. I chose to use a square cut from the bag baby wipe refills come inside. It has the best crinkle sound to me. Choose anything you desire to use in the middle that crinkles.

4. Pin the three layers together and sew with 1/4" seam allowance, leaving opening to turn project inside out. Next, I place my fingers in the opening to carefully remove all the pins that were holding my ribbon pieces in place. Turn inside out.

5. Once your project is turned inside out, sew 1/4" seam around the squares as shown below.


6. Share it with a baby you love and watch their face light up as they chew and crinkle their new toy. This is the first sensory toy I used with my little one.

Here is another variation of the taggie toy idea that I liked. I thought it would be the perfect gift to enlist a older sibling to help make for a new baby on the way. I saw this clever idea at HavingFunAtHome.


She had her kids use fabric markers to draw on the new gift for baby. Precious!

Disclaimer: The inside crinkle material is a choking hazard if this toy were to ever come apart. I have never had any issues personally and I love that it is machine washable.

9 comments:

  1. Very cute! I didn't think my son was really into taggies until yesterday. He started playing with the tag on his burp cloth. Looks like I'll be making him some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all darling. I have made a few variations of taggies and just love them. My daughter's both have loved taggies and they make a great gift. Can't wait to try to make a few of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used foil chip bags for crinkle effect before. They fare pretty well in the wash. I love the animal shaped ones. So cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the clear basket wrap (not the shrink wrap) for the crinkle effect. It worked great! VERY cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't go tooting the taggies horn. They hold a patent on the design of sewing 2 fabrics together with multiple fabric loops ranging in width, all no longer than 2 inches. And they don't hold back on the cease and desist letters. Many etsy listings have been pulled because of taggies.
    And the patent doesn't expire unroll 2020, in which case they can just pay the fee and keep the patent still. You can make them as gifts and for yourself, but can't sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't go tooting the taggies horn. They hold a patent on the design of sewing 2 fabrics together with multiple fabric loops ranging in width, all no longer than 2 inches. And they don't hold back on the cease and desist letters. Many etsy listings have been pulled because of taggies.
    And the patent doesn't expire unroll 2020, in which case they can just pay the fee and keep the patent still. You can make them as gifts and for yourself, but can't sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Repair Outlook installation or try opening in Safe Mode to fix Outlook not opening.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...