At my son's school they announced a contest to decorate a pumpkin like your favorite book character. What a fun literary project! He picked to decorate his pumpkin like Elmer the Elephant. We were very last minute, and completed it last night. It took an hour for the whole project. I searched pinterest and google and found tons of other great ideas. We picked a character we didn't see in hopes of not duplicating another child's pumpkin.
We dropped Elmer the pumpkin off in the library this morning. (The instructions to make him are at the bottom of this post). Let me share a few other characters we saw there...
The Gruffalo pumpkin
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle pumpkin
The Lorax pumpkin
Black Lagoon themed pumpkin
Lyle the Crocodile pumpkin and Frosty the Snowman
Pete the Cat pumpkin
And here are a few more ideas I found in my initial search to create a book character pumpkin. Many of the following were uploaded to Pinterest by Elanco Library.
Skippy Jones pumpkin
Laydbug Girl pumpkin
Bob the Builder pumpkin
Wimpy Kid pumpkin
Mr. Popper's Penguins pumpkin
Thomas the Train pumpkin
Little Critter pumpkin
The Very Hungry Caterpillar pumpkin
Cat in the Hat pumpkin
Alice in Wonderland pumpkin
Captain Underpants pumpkin
Charlotte's Web pumpkin
Bad Case of Stripes pumpkin
Grouchy Ladybug pumpkin
Fly Guy Pumpkin
Junie B. Jones pumpkin
Click Clack Moo pumpkin
I hope this helps you design a pumpkin for your contest. I think it is such a clever idea. Here is how we made our Elmer the elephant pumpkin.
Colored paper (regular paper...not card stock or construction)
Paper towel holder
1. We started by cutting a variety of different colored squares.
2. We heavily modge podged them to the pumpkin. My son was great at this part. (Such a last minute project that we used a toothbrush instead of a paint brush to modge podge!!)
3. Next, we modge podged a paper towel holder with squares. (See it drying on the Elmer's glue bottle)
4. We hot glued the ears, eyes, and trunk on Elmer. If you look closely I added a few small nails to make sure the trunk and ears stayed.
5. Here is my son's masterpiece!