I saw some cute Halloween cookies on Etsy and was inspired to make similar ones of my own. You can always click the link and order an embroidery pattern. I wish my sewing machine was that fancy. I made a set of these for my boys to play with and for a sweet little girl whose birthday party we have later this month. I never realized felt food was so popular until I started looking around etsy. We may just have to make some more because it was a huge hit at our house today.
1. I started by drawing my patterns on paper. For the pumpkin, I cut out my orange shape first. Then I laid it on top of double layers of beige felt and cut out two background (sugar cookie) pieces at the same time.
2. Next, I used some black thread to sew on the design for eyes and a mouth. Embroidery thread would have worked even better, but I didn't have any laying around.
3. Then, I sewed my orange pumpkin on top of my top layer of the sugar cookie. I tried some with hand stitching and some with my machine. (Both ways worked well. Of course the machine was MUCH faster)
4. Fill with a small amount of stuffing.
5. Sew your two layers of "sugar cookies" together.
Apparently, my little one thinks cookies should be cooked on the stove top. Ha!
Our cookies provided tons of fun this morning. I hope they make a great birthday present as well!