Sunday, April 13, 2014

DIY Matte Finish Paint or Chalk Paint

The name might be deceptive if you have not heard of chalk paint before. It is not to be confused with chalkboard paint. It is basically altering paint to have a matte finish or chalky finish. It is very popular right now, and I especially love the look. My mom passed down this dresser that she had as a little girl, and I painted it pink for my precious little girl. My husband called it Pepto pink. I am in love with her new vintage pink dresser!!

 
 
 
Project Supplies:

Paint Flat
Plaster of Paris
Water
Container
Spoon or mixer
Paint Brush
Sandpaper (medium)
Furniture wax



Chalk Paint Recipe:
2 cups paint
4 Tb Plaster of Paris
2 Tb Water
 

 
Here was part of my dresser before I began the project.

 

 
I bought really bright pink paint thinking that the plaster of paris might dull down the color. Wrong! However, I still loved it that bright.

 
The paint appears very streaky when you apply it at first. It took about three good coats of paint. Make sure you let it dry several hours in between...even though it is sooo tempting to paint it sooner.

 
Don't panic yet! The coats will look more even as you go.

 
When all layers of paint are well dried, rub on a coat of wax.
 

 
I scuffed up the pink dresser a bit with a sander for a vintage look.

 
I was very pleased with how it turned out.
 
 
I also painted an old highchair with the chalk paint for my princess. Her vintage nursery is finally done. More to show soon!!
 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What kind of wax did you use after you were done painting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a soft wax like Minwax Finishing Wax

      Delete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...