Sunday, November 25, 2012

DIY Child Size BBQ Grill

Hello! I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We have been out of town for a few days and we are glad to be home. Our family has had such a busy month, and I would be crazy to think December would be any less then the same. In the last 6 weeks we have probably been to 9 or 10 birthday parties. I decided I needed to start making some of my gifts by the 4th or 5th one. Therefore, I whipped up two of these child size BBQ grills for two different sweet little boys.

 
Supplies:
 
Red plastic bowl
1 1/4" dowel rod
1" x 2" wood
1/4"-1/3" dowel rods
Wood glue
Drill
3 screws and washers
Silver spray paint
 
Let me start by saying I did these without my husband's assistance, which proves they are simple to make. However, if you have not used a saw before please get some safety lessons first!
 
Directions:
 
1. Cut two 1" x 2" pieces of wood to the appropriate length to slide into your bowl. I cut a 45 degree angle at both ends to help them fit snugly.
 
 
2. Cut small dowel rods as shown above. Make sure you allow room for them to hang off both sides of the bowl.
 
3. I marked my wood and put the design on a flat surface for the next step. Use wood glue to adhere your small dowel rods to the 1" x 2" pieces of wood at your marks.
 

 
4. Spray your grill top silver. (It remains removable.)
 
5. Cut 3 pieces of 1 1/4" dowel rod for your legs. I made my grill short for the 1-3 year old age range. I cut the top of the dowel rods at a 45 degree angle.
 
6. Next, I  drilled holes in the top of my dowel rods (the 45 degree angle section) and I drilled holes in the bottom of my red plastic bowl.
 
7. Drill your screws in place with a washer between the screw head and the red plastic bowl.

 
I made up a little grill basket to go with the grill and I had a little apron monogrammed to match.

 
Next, I tied it up in a cellophane wrap for a special birthday delivery!

 
I almost didn't make it out of the house with the child size grill because my 2 year old wanted to keep it!
 
 
Optional: You may want to put some supports between the legs if necessary. One of my plastic bowls held it securely without supports. However, the other style I bought did not. Just a tip.
 
I am wishing now I had taken a few more pictures along the way. Please let me know if the description does not make sense and I would be glad to help! Good luck! This would make a fun Christmas gift for a little boy or girl too. I think handmade unique gifts for kids are often the biggest hit!
 

10 comments:

  1. This is adorable! My daughter's not even born yet, and I already want to make her one! I'd love it if you stopped by my blog and shared this on my linky party! http://accidentallywonderful.blogspot.com/2012/11/now-co-hosting-inspiration-spotlight.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I think I'll make my daughter one for summer. She'll be 2, and I know she'll just love to grill outside with her daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I love it, what a great idea for my boys! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Such a unique gift idea! I will hopefully be trying this in the near future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love it!! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great gift and idea!!! Brecken LOVES it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your super sweet comments!! I love that feeling of finding the perfect gift or project too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...