Tuesday, April 17, 2012

DIY Fake Vegetable Garden for Kids

I hate to admit I have a huge wonderful area for a garden, but I have not planted one this year. I don't think I could keep up with it right now with work and my little ones. I just decided to skip it this year and keep my sanity. It's a small trade off I figure. I was missing digging in the dirt with the kids so I made a fake mini vegetable garden for them. It just might have ended up being a little therapeutic for me too. (smile)


I started by building a box out of some scrap wood we had at the house. You could just as easily use an old planter, or buy a cheap one at Walmart. I was just motivated to build one at the time.


I had some fake carrots I bought at a garage sale last year for 5 cents a piece. Cheap! I was planning a fabulous Easter project with them, but Easter snuck up, and passed. (Story of my life)
Good thing that happened, because this proved to be much more fun.


We dumped some dirt in the box, and pulled our plastic shovels and gardening tools out. We dug holes...then planted..then picked...then dug more holes...


My little one may look like he is not enjoying it, but this is his face of concentration. (Look at those chubby cheeks) It is hard work planting a garden! Good luck. Find yourself some fake vegetables and put your kids to work. The old tradition of kids digging in the dirt IS all it is cracked up to be. We had a great time!


7 comments:

  1. Oh my, I LOVE this idea!! I am definitely going to do this with my kids, thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I'm not much of a garden person (black thumb) but it's so cute to get the kids involved and excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! My son loves to dig in the dirt- especially my soft garden dirt. I might have to make him his own garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! My little guys would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, amazing idea! So very creative!! My daughter would LOVE this. I am a new follower stopping by from TGIF! Morgan, www.tottreasuresnorthbay.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creative!! What a GREAT idea =-) Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Looking forward to seeing you again tomorrow =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up! I featured your idea on my link up recap post. http://zisforzel.blogspot.com/2012/05/l-is-for-links-favorites-from-last.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...