1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup red enchilada sauce
2 Tbsp golden raisins
1 1/2 tsp packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Bread rolls or country-style bread
2 cup shredded cooked chicken
1 cup shredded cheese
The original recipe also called for 1/2 cup pine nuts and 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce plus 1 tsp adobo sauce. I like to stick to ingredients I have on hand when necessary. I thought it was delicious and I was really excited I had discovered a new and very unique recipe...until... I have to be honest...my husband said, "I don't like it, but thanks for making dinner." Bummer! I proceeded to take the leftovers to work the next day. Everyone thought it was fantastic!
1. Cook onion in olive oil until softened.
2. Add enchilada sauce, raisins, brown sugar, vinegar, and cinnamon.
3. Stir in shredded chicken and heat.
4. I buttered the top of the buns and broiled them in the oven for 1 minute.
5. Place filling in buns and add cheese on top.