Sunday, December 2, 2012

Fairy Land Little Girl Gift

Welcome to the magical and mystical fairy land! I made this little village a month ago for a birthday party gift for a sweet little girl. Apparently, fairies are the rage right now. I wouldn't know...I have two little boys. However, it ended up that my boys had just as much fun playing with it! This would be an awesome little DIY present for a little girl for Christmas.
 
 
I have to admit I had a LOT of fun making this little fairy village. I would have loved this as a little girl. I really enjoy toys that encourage a child's natural curiosity and imagination. This project is amazing for creative play.
 
Supplies:
 
Bird houses
Paint
Moss
Dirt
Artificial flowers and leaves
Twigs and branches
String or Yarn
Hot Glue
 
Directions:
 
I started transforming my bird houses to fairy houses first. I bought two of them at Michael's, and stumbled upon the other one at a garage sale. My husband helped enlarge the naturally small bird entry to fit a fairy instead.
 
 
 
Next, I began painting the fairy houses.
 

 
I hot glued leaves on to one of the homes to make it a bit more woodsy in appearance.

 
I set it up on a table to get my design layout. Small stumps cut from a dead tree branch served as a path. A stripped off portion of a tree became a bridge. Small logs were fashioned into outdoor benches.

 
In order to create the fairy land back drop, I drilled a small hole in some small pieces of wood. I was able to glue my fake trees (leaves) into them to stand upright.

 
I glued moss on the garage sale bird house find to help camouflage it into the fairy woods.

 
My 2 year old could hardly stand it as the fairy village was being transformed. He began to play with the miniature fairies as he walked them along the path to their homes.

 
The longer I built, the more ideas came to mind. I was able to carefully drill two holes in a small branch, tie yarn through the holes, and set up a swing for the lovely ladies.

 
Come and swing a spell!

 
Ta Da!  Welcome! Here is my new home. It even has a flower pot with flowers outside the front door.

 
My husband helped make a box with some landscape timbers and plywood. I used real dirt in the bottom with fake moss on top. It truly was magical as the burlap pennant sign reads. 
 

 
Oops. I almost forgot to mention the ladder. Another stick and yarn creation!

 
Here is fairy land as a bird's eye view. It looks so welcoming that even I would love to go stay for the weekend. Lol! Another sweet friend saw this creation in the works and has already nicely requested one for her daughter's birthday next week. I better get to work and fast!
 

4 comments:

  1. I stopped by from Skip to my Lou and thought this is adorable. I would love to have you add it to my Our Favorite Things Link Party. http://mylifesatreasure.blogspot.com/2012/12/our-favorite-things-link-party-25.html
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow so cool . girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Great gift idea for a little girl! If you like this, you will LOVE learning more about these wonderfully soft, snuggly, and fun “pets” for kids! Check them out here: http://www.handi-dandi-crafts.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...