Friday, July 5, 2013

DIY Egg Carton Fire Starters for Camping, Fireplace, and More

We are officially moved into the camper and out of our old house. This is our second week of camping bliss. Yes...I am lying. It has been...edited version...an adventure! We borrowed the camper from a sweet cousin, but it had not been used in a while, and it had a few problems. First there was a hose leak, and we didn't have water inside for about 4 days. Then we found a gas leak, and we did not have hot water for another 3 days. 7 1/2 months pregnant (A 5 year old, 3 year old, and a husband) without water or without hot water is NOT paradise. At least they have started building our new house. I am pretty sure this will lead to some funny stories years from now but I might be lacking a little humor at this point! (I'm laughing thinking about it though)

In the meantime, I made some really cool fire starters.

 

 
I have to say I learn so much from my patients. One of the best parts of my job as a nurse is talking to people. I meet the most interesting patients that I have to credit for teaching me a wide variety of things. One day, I had a patient that was a retired firefighter. I am not sure how we got on the topic, but we began discussing fires and ways to make fire starters. He explained to me this simple process for making homemade fire starters out of candle wax, sawdust, and cardboard egg cartons.
 
My husband was very skeptical the first time I used one of these little homemade fire starters. I placed one under the logs of our fire pit, and lit it on fire. Within minutes, even with quite a strong wind, our fire was ablaze. I made a quick believer out of him! I have to admit...I was quite amazed myself at the power of one little egg carton fire starter.
 
Supplies:
Old candles
Old pot
Tin can
Clamp
Sawdust
Egg cartons (cardboard)
 
 
Step 1: Fill egg cartons with sawdust 
 

 
Step 2: Melt old candle wax. I rigged a pot of boiling water with a clamp and a tin can to melt the wax in.
 
Step 3: Pour the candle wax in each egg carton compartment.
 
 
Step 4: When the wax is cool, tear apart each section, to create an individual fire starter.
 
Trust me...these things are amazing. It takes only 1 to start your average fire!
 
 
 


 

2 comments:

  1. This is great, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and may come back from now on. I want to encourage continue your great writing, have a nice Day! G1 driving lessons in Toronto

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...