Saturday, June 18, 2011

Creating a Patriotic Dish Towel

I am clearly in patriotic mode. I decided my kitchen needed a new splash of color so I sewed together this little gem of a dish towel today. I was clearly inspired by all the strands of patriotic pennant flags displayed around the internet. They just make me smile because they remind me of parties! Who does not want a party in their kitchen??


I started by using a rotary cutter to cut 2x3 triangles for the flags. Then I layed them out on my blue and white tea towel for spacing. I pinned them down to hold them in place.


Sew each flag with 1/4" seam allowance. I wanted to allow from them to fray some after washing.


Next I used a piece of ribbon to sew along the top as a "rope." I sewed one direction...


and then sewed back up the opposite direction to secure the ribbon on.


I love that it is patriotic but I could probably still use it year round!


Parties I linked to:

PhotobucketMaking Monday Marvelous Linky Party
  NightOwlCrafting   BLOG TITLE
somewhat simple button Ladybird Ln 

12 comments:

  1. Oooo! I want a party in my kitchen!! I love your adorable dish towels. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute. I love how this idea lets you turn any ordinary dish towel into a holiday theme. Great idea!

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! You could use fabrics to match any decor, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute, I just love pennants and patriotic decor.
    Jessica
    http://thatgivesmeanidea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable towel..almost too cute to wipe dirty hands on! =) I would also LOVE if you would link up your project to our {{What I Made Wednesday}} linky party...it's going on now!

    ~Briana
    sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I love the pennants and the fabric you chose is adorable! I am a new follower:)
    www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking! Love it!

    I am just reminding everyone about tonights link party that runs Friday evening now through Mondays!

    I also have an ongoing give away link party now too.

    Hope to see you soon.


    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please post a link to this on my Reap What You Sew linky, it closes in a few hours, otherwise post by next Sunday, I would be honored!
    San at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Too cute! I featured it on hoo's got talent! Thanks for linking up to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for linking up to my Red, White and Blue Linky Party!

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cute idea! Definitely pinning this.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...