Friday, July 20, 2012

Easy Sew Envelope Pillow Covers

I am so excited to share with you these lovely and easy to sew pillows. My cousin's wife emailed me with a project idea for her new apartment and I was thrilled. She ordered this fabulous fabric online and wanted to cover her current pillows with a more modern and chic look. I immediately loved her fabric choices. My house is more rustic, so it was a great opportunity to make something with bright and vibrant fabrics for a change.


These pillow are so inviting!

Instructions:

1. Cut your fabric long enough to wrap around your pillow horizontally with about a 6 inch overlay. Measure the height of the pillow and add 2 inches more.
For example if your pillow was 16x16...you would cut a piece of fabric width (16x2+6=38 inches)...and the height (16+2=18).
Goodness, this is hard to explain. I hope the picture helps. I am generous with the 2 inches extra, because it allows me to not have a perfect 1/4" seam.


2. Fold over the fabric on the short ends and sew a seam to give it a finished look.


3. Lay the fabric print side up and lay your pillow on top.

4. Fold up one side of fabric followed by the second side of fabric. Then, carefully slip out the pillow.


5. Once you slip out the pillow, secure the fabric with pins. See picture above and notation of where to sew.


 Sew along your pin line. (This is Sara sewing her first pillows!)

6. Turn pillow cover inside out and stuff your pillow inside your new cover.

The best thing about pillow covers is you can change them as often as you like, and you can also remove them for washing. What a bonus if you have kids, animals, or the husband that insists on eating on the couch! These may have taken us 10-15 minutes per cover including cutting, pinning, sewing, and covering. It's time to spruce up your house for the summer!

6 comments:

  1. These seem so easy and I love your fabric choices!! I can't wait to make some of these for fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking yesterday that I wanted to cover my throw pillows for the living room and viola here is your tutorial! Great, thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chevron cases. I like making pillows from old dresses with nice prints. Good tutorial'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your tutorial! I've been intimidated by the idea of an envelope cover and when I came across yours, I knew I wanted to make them. Turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pillow cover is used to keep pillow dirt free as well as gives new style to the home improvements.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...