Sunday, November 27, 2011

Son's Request for Pumpkin Pie from Scratch!

I took down all our Thanksgiving decorations this weekend and threw away all the small pumpkins we had around the house...but not for long. My three year old was throwing away some trash, and noticed the pumpkins in there. He started sobbing because he was convinced we were going to make pumpkin pie out of them. Apparently, he "loves pumpkin pie!" I pulled them out of the trash in hopes he would forget. I was not so lucky!! The next morning he woke up and reminded me we were supposed to make a pumpkin pie today. Thank goodness for google and all the wonderful sites with instructions to make pumpkin puree.


I took our lovely pumpkins out of the trash and SCRUBBED them clean.


Next, I cut up the pumpkins and used a melon baller to scrape out the insides. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


Place all the pumpkin slices on a cookie sheet.


Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


Scoop out pumpkin and place in food processor. I added about 2 Tbsp of water.


I have to admit the color of orange was beautiful. I had to compare. The one on the left is the pumpkin puree I made. The right side is some from a can.


Of course, I still had to use the Libby's Pumpkin can recipe to make our pumpkin pie.


This is my son devouring the pie whip cream. I wish I had a picture of him spitting out the pie once he got to it. I was laughing so hard at that point I could not even get a picture. Apparently, he really does not LOVE pumpkin pie. Good thing the rest of the family does. Ha! Our pumpkin pieces ended up back in the trash can...where they originally started the day.


I do have to say it was a good experience to make it from scratch. It truly was easier then I ever expected. My husband gave me a big hug while he was laughing hysterically. After all that effort, and our son really did not even like pumpkin pie !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...